I Would Like This To Last Forever.
It’s the end of March. This is where I’m at right now:
On Easter Sunday, I arrived back in Dublin from a quick holiday in London. Over the course of two days, I saw my cousin (whom I hadn’t seen in about three months—a strange and surreal fact, considering we’re close on many literal levels), met my cousin’s friend Mara and her New Zealander husband Justin (and stayed in their lovely flat in Chiswick, the Park Slope of London), played with Mara and Justin’s baby, ate some of said baby’s gourmet food, watched In The Night Garden with said baby (and concluded that show is like being on drugs) and Green Wing with everyone else, and cavorted around London. I actually walked the expanse of Brick Lane and ate the best bagels of my life, finally made it to Hyde Park (which wasn’t nearly as cool as I’d imagined it to be), downed a Cadbury McFlurry (and walked into a McDonald’s for the first time in years), visited the Victoria & Albert Museum (which is now on my favorite museums list…it’s the equivalent of a candy store for adults, except you can’t buy or taste anything…during my visit, I had the pleasure of viewing this exhibit, which was so indescribably kick-ass), and went for high tea at The Orangery at Kensington Palace.
On Easter Monday, I went to back to Bray, where I walked along the coast, played air hockey at an arcade, and went bowling for the first time in months. I’m rusty. Go figure. (It was totally worth it, though, for reasons I can’t name here.)
Yesterday, during my day off, I went to Malahide. It was beautiful and sunny—a rare thing in Dublin—and so there was a walk through woods, a walk along the coast, and a walk up to the doorway of Malahide Castle, which did, as the person I was with said, look less like a castle and more like a mansion with turrets. Also, it cost money to go in, so I just looked at it and smiled.
Yesterday night, I finished the first act of my play. It’s due on Tuesday. I’m about to play a game. It’s called: Will This Abroad Student Make Her Deadline? Something tells me there will be much isolation from human folk and plenty of creative introspection within the next few days…
Oh, and to cap off this entry/prove just how cinematic my life has become as of late: on St. Paddy’s Day weekend (which was, in fact, one of the best weekends I’ve had here), I was evacuated from the now-infamous Whelan’s because of a fire next door! As I was with film fest folk, there was much adventuring around the rainy streets of Dublin and into a fest friend’s house, where drink and buttered toast were had and part of a stair railing was broken. Don’t ask. Just imagine laughter and craziness and debauchery, and the night I’m attempting to describe is pretty much summed up.

1 comment:
I had a fantastic time seeing you, too. Can't wait to get to Dublin and see you there this summer.
Post a Comment